Sunday, December 18, 2011

Midnight In Paris



"I can never decide whether Paris is more beautiful by day or by night. No, you can't, you couldn't pick one. I mean I can give you a checkmate argument for each side. You know, I sometimes think, how is anyone ever gonna come up with a book, or a painting, or a symphony, or a sculpture that can compete with a great city. You can't. Because you look around and every street, every boulevard, is its own special art form and when you think that in the cold, violent, meaningless universe that Paris exists, these lights, I mean come on, there's nothing happening on Jupiter or Neptune, but from way out in space you can see these lights, the cafes, people drinking and singing. For all we know, Paris is the hottest spot in the universe"

What an amazing movie. It is about this guy, Gil (Owen Wilson), who discovers the magic of Paris after midnight. The movie revolves about him going back to the 20's and meeting inspirational people such as Hemingway and Fitzgerald and Picasso, but I think that the main focus of the story is the beauty of Paris. I can't describe how it makes you feel towards this city, I just fell in love with it. This is why I am not going to talk about the story line, but about the pearl of the world, which without a doubt, is the french capital.


There are a lot of beautiful cities in the world... I've been to some of them like NYC, LA, Madrid, Buenos Aires, Athens, etc, and then there are some other cities that are in my list of places to go before I die, like Rome, London, Berlin, Milan, Venice, and of course, Paris. For some reason, I feel an attraction to this place. Every time I see pictures, or videos, or movies about it I feel a strong connection, and I NEED to go there. Maybe everybody feels that way, just because it Paris and it is supposed to be beautiful and adorable and magic, but I can't stop dreaming about taking a flight there all by myself, stay at a cheap french apartment, wear a nice french dress, and just walk, like Gil does in this movie. Discover every single corner of this beautiful city; learn to draw just by looking at the beautiful details of every single bridge, building, house, and statue; take professional pictures of the Eiffel Tower; have a creme brulee at a small french cafe; listen to the beauty and grace of the french accent; stare at the amazing paintings of the Musée du Louvre for hours; write about each single thing I see and learn to come up with a book about french romance... and million of other things. Basically, I just want to literally WALK AROUND PARIS for hours, which is why it didn't take me long to feel interested about this movie, because I understand the passion of this character towards this city.

The good thing about myself, is that when I want something, I end up doing it, no matter how hard it is. I dreamed about Los Angeles and Hollywood, and life gave the chance to go. I dreamed about moving to the states, and I did it. And each place gave me something that I'll keep for the rest of my life. Like I am a big puzzle and each city of my places to go before I die is a new piece that completes my puzzle. And I think that Paris is next. I know it is not going to be soon because I have to be old enough to do all of the things that I want to do, and I might have to go though college first, but all I know is that someday I'll make it there, and I will discover a whole new part of myself that I didn't know I had. I want to go there and grow as an artist, just like I grew in New Jersey as a person. I wanna fall in love with the art of Paris, with its architecture, culture, history, details, music, food, language, everything.

The thing with the movie is as far as I know, Paris is not just magical at midnight... it is magical all day long. And I hope I will be able to see that for myself sometime in my life.




No comments:

Post a Comment