Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Food

There are two ways to do it. One is to make it yourself. The other is to buy the main dish from a reputable source and handle the sides in-house.

We will have 14 people over for Christmas Dinner and to satisfy the palates of all concerned, I drove through the rain to stand in line to buy a Honeybaked Ham and Honeycured Oven Roasted Turkey Breast today. Keep in mind it's raining as in the days of Noah -- and animals are lining up two-by-two in SoCal in anticipation of the arc floating in to pick them up.

In normal times, there are at least 100 people in line at the Honeybaked Ham store in my area by 8 am. They open at 9 am. The rain slanted in and flooded streets between me and the store -- but I have a capable 4x4 and am ok until the water gets to about 38-40 inches high. I have a snorkel intake so the engine won't suck water but it will eventually flood out the engine and bust up the fan blade.

I ended up arriving at about 9:15 and had foul weather gear to stand in the deluge -- BUT -- With the rain there wasn't anyone in the store. I parked right out in front and walked in. The staff was standing-by for the annual inundation of hungry holiday buyers but there was just me.

I like ham well enough, but the spiral cut honeycured turkey makes a real taste treat for the holidays. And the best part of it was that I didn't have to stand in line to buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment